Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any common sharing in The Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
Philippians 2:1-4 (NIV)
Three hurricanes, an earthquake, and a mass shooting have left a wake of destruction over the past month. I truly believe that there is power in prayer, and I ask you to pray with me for all of those effected. Without discounting the power of prayer in these situations, I know that I can do more. To value others above myself has been instilled in my life since I was a young child, and true empathy is an area of my life that has been growing in significant ways over the past several years. I can do more, so I need to do more.
At the beginning of November, a team from Crossroads Church is traveling to Texas to respond to the needs of those still dealing with the effects of Hurricane Harvey. I just read an article from Sunday that there are still over 1,300 people living in shelters and more than 60,000 people are living out of hotel rooms paid for by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. FEMA has processed and approved less than half of the more than 298,000 requests for assistance, and there is still a long way to go in the recovery efforts.
Our team will make a difference in the lives of the people we meet and help. Can you imagine the hopelessness that people may have been feeling as the waters rose and filled their homes? By being the hands and feet of Jesus and valuing them above ourselves, we can bring hope back into their lives.
You Can Help
This trip is only a month away, and you can help.
- Pray that God would help me to recognize the divine encounters that He has already ordained and set into motion. While the physical relief efforts are important, conversations that impact eternity can, and I believe will happen in the process. Pray that hearts are open to receive the love of Jesus and that The Holy Spirit moves in amazing ways.
- Pray for safety and unity for the team. This is not going to be a physically or emotionally easy trip. Pray for God to keep our team safe, and that we remain strong in unity as we shine the light of Jesus through our work and conversations.
- Prayerfully consider joining this mission financially. With a short timeline to prepare, the trip cost of $650 is not something that I can afford on my own. All donations are tax-deductible. Anything raised above what I need will be used for additional Crossroads domestic mission trips.
Thank you for your prayers and support. You are making a difference. Should you feel led to provide financial support, you can follow the instructions outlined below.
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16 (NIV)
Donations can be made online or by check.
- Go to crossroadsumc.org/giving/ and select “New Giver”
- Select “HARVEY RELIEF TRIP: Name>” under “Select a fund”
- Be sure to type “Tony LaMarca” in the option memo field
- Make check payable to “Crossroads Church”
- Write “Harvey Relief Trip – Tony LaMarca” on the memo line
- Place your check can be in an offering basket at any Crossroads campus or mail it to:
1000 Crossroads Dr
Oakdale, PA 15071